Adding a runner to your staircase is a great way to elevate the look of your home as well as add a touch of your style to the area. While it may seem like a daunting task, measuring your stairs for a runner is not as hard as you may think.
Here is a list of our tips for measuring your staircase prior to purchasing the runner that you want to install:
- Use a flexible measuring tape
- Pick a step and measure the tread (the tread is the part of the step that you walk on), placing the end of the tape measure against the riser on the step above it as your starting point (the riser is the part of the step that is between each step “rising” to the next)
- Wrap the measuring tape around the nose of the stair, holding it tight and then down to the bottom of the riser
- If you are adding padding under your stair runner, you should add a 1/2″ per step
- Once you have the measurement of the steps, from the full tread to the bottom of the riser, you can multiple the number by the number of steps that you have and that you are covering with a stair runner, you will have the length of the stair runner that you need – that’s it!
- We always recommend ordering an extra foot of the runner if you are still unsure.
Still unsure? Give us a call and we are happy to help you!